[Dshield] distributing windows updates (was: Proxy

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Wed Oct 22 22:10:23 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 12:40, John Holmblad wrote:
> John,
>
> first thanks for the pointer to the cygwin site.

My pleasure.

> Second, regarding your question on   "remote assistance"  here is what
> the Windows help file says about the "remote assistance" service.

I *do* have the help file, y'know... :)

>         Both you and your assistant must be using either Windows
> Messenger or a MAPI-compliant e-mail account such as Microsoft Outlook
> or Outlook Express.

*this* is the requirement I'd like to bypass. Neither Windows Messenger
(MSN Messenger? Or the Windows Messenger service? Not even MS can use
the terminology clearly...) nor MAPI mail clients are available for
Linux. I'm hoping it's just some hack like running RDP to a nonstandard
port, and XP knows to mirror the desktop rather than totally redirecting
it.

> From this and from reading a short section in  WStanek's  "Windows XP
> Professional Administrator's Pocket Consultant" on this service and on
> RDP (pp145-148) I surmise that this remote assistance service obviously
> bypasses the simultaneouse active user restrictions of RDP. And in fact
> the procedure for enabling the two services is distinct as explained in
> Stanek's text. I expect there is a Microsoft knowledge base article or
> two on these features as well at the Microsoft www site.

I haven't had an opportunity to dig into it too deeply (== beyond
reading the online help file), which is why I posted the question here
as part of this thread - in case somebody had already figured it out and
could give a quick answer.

Thanks!

This topic is drifting rather far off-charter...

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ
  Failure to plan ahead on someone else's part does not constitute an