[Dshield] Slightly OT: GMT

Johannes Ullrich jullrich at euclidian.com
Wed Oct 22 23:56:43 GMT 2003

> Does anyone else run such a configuration?

on some machines. In particular DShield database and frontend machine.

> Is this a good or bad idea?

I think its a very good idea. It makes things much simpler. In
particular for us it removed some inconsistencies ;-). All of
the machines I admin are in the same time zone. But even just getting
rid of DST is a big plus. The 'time jump' easily causes cron jobs
to be skipped. The 2-3 am timeslot is just too convinient.

> Will it create other problems?

Not if you are consistent. It may take you a while to get used to
it. In particular scheduling the 'over night' cron jobs requires
you to think.

> Your pros and cons please!

pros:
- consistency
- no 'DST' jumps

cons:
- if you PHB gets to see it, he may get confused.
- requires care if you are trying to coordinate events
  with the 'real world' (but may make it easier if your
  system are spread across multiple time zones anyway)

Johannes Ullrich                     jullrich at euclidian.com
         support at covad.net