[Dshield] distributing windows updates (was: Proxy

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Thu Oct 23 02:54:29 GMT 2003

Doug,

thanks for the lead. I followed it up and learned the author has just
released a text on the software which, itself, has gotten excellent
early reviews.

    Managing Linux Systems with Webmin: System Administration and Module
Development
</exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0131408828/qid=1066874580/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-7552048-3232864?v=glance&s=books>

    by Jamie Cameron (Author)

It looks like it provides a close functional equivalent for remote admin
to what I am looking for although does not appear to provide remote
emulation of KVM of my Linux environment.

 I also checked out Citrix and  they do have a UNIX version of their
Metaframe product but there is no mention cross OS platform capability,
i.e. having a Windows Client machine providing KVM emulation over a LAN
to a Unix//Linux server. In fact my cursory look at their user guide
suggests that the server side of their metaframe product is spec'd to
only run on specific versions of Unix which they have tested. They do
have a client product that does operate on Linux however so it looks
like you can have a Linux desktop system, say, administering a UNIX
server (see chapter 3 p26 of the user guide at the following URL:

http://download2.citrix.com/files/en/products/client/ica/current/docs/UnixCAG.pdf.

these clients not only perform pass thru emulation  of KVM across the
LAN but also audio as well.

Interestingly the Unix/Linux clients ("ICA clients" in Citrix's lexicon)
can work with the Citrix Metaframe server product for Windows. Server
environments.

Best Regards,

John Holmblad

Televerage International