[Dshield] Weird scanning, weird ports, weird TCP flags..

Coyle, Brian Brian.Coyle at disney.com
Thu Oct 23 19:53:09 GMT 2003

Nick Harley [mailto:nickharley at bcbsal.org] Sent: Thursday, October 23, 2003 14:21

> This is a bit of a newbie question but I don't understand your range
> notation: "private address space and ranges like: 0/8, 1/8, 126/8, etc."
> Can anyone tell me how this works? I've seen it in other places as well
> but no one's really been able to give a good explanation.

http://compnetworking.about.com/library/weekly/aa021003a.htm

and

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8q=CIDR+network+notation+tutorial&btnG=Google+Search

Is a good start.

Very quick- the "slash number" (/8, /16, /24 etc) defines the number of bits in a subnet mask.   This is known as CIDR notation (Classless Internet Domain Routing).  This superceeds the older, classful (A/B/C/D/E) networking.  See also RFC 1519.

HTH!
                                    -- Brian, GCIA