[Dshield] Weird scanning, weird ports, weird TCP flags..

Nick Harley nickharley at bcbsal.org
Thu Oct 23 21:02:25 GMT 2003

I do understand network masking but I don't understand what 126/8 is. I
had assumed that this would mean 126.x.x.x/8 but that wouldn't fit with
0/8 0.x.x.x/8.

Nick Harley
MCSE, MCP+I, CCNA
CNA 5.x, A+
NOC Technician
220-6043
746-4667
>>> Brian.Coyle at disney.com 10/23/03 2:53 PM >>>
Nick Harley [mailto:nickharley at bcbsal.org] Sent: Thursday, October 23,
2003 14:21

> This is a bit of a newbie question but I don't understand your range
> notation: "private address space and ranges like: 0/8, 1/8, 126/8,
etc."
> Can anyone tell me how this works? I've seen it in other places as
well
> but no one's really been able to give a good explanation.

http://compnetworking.about.com/library/weekly/aa021003a.htm

and

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8q=CIDR+network+notation+tutorial&btnG=Google+Search

Is a good start.

Very quick- the "slash number" (/8, /16, /24 etc) defines the number of
bits in a subnet mask.   This is known as CIDR notation (Classless
Internet Domain Routing).  This superceeds the older, classful
(A/B/C/D/E) networking.  See also RFC 1519.

HTH!
                                    -- Brian, GCIA

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This e-mail is intended for the sole use of the individual(s) to whom it is
addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and
exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  You are hereby notified that any
dissemination, duplication, or distribution of this transmission by someone
other than the intended addressee or its designated agent is strictly
prohibited.  If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify me immediately
by replying to this e-mail.