[Dshield] distributing windows updates (was: Proxy

George Capehart capegeo at opengroup.org
Thu Oct 23 22:19:18 GMT 2003

On Wednesday 22 October 2003 06:03 pm, John Hardin wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-10-22 at 12:00, Mark Tombaugh wrote:
> > On Wednesday 22 October 2003 01:27 pm, John Holmblad wrote:
> > > If anyone on this list knows of a convenient tool that  runs
> > > under Microsoft Windows that would work provide a similar RDP
> > > capability for Linux, I would appreciate knowing how to get it.
> >
> > What about VNC?
> > <http://www.realvnc.com/download.html>
>
> I wouldn't recommend that, as it fires off an X session (desktop) on
> the Linux box and leaves it sitting idle until somebody connects
> using VNC.

This is an implementation of VNC with which I am not accustomed.  None
of the current implementations of VNC use X.  There is a very good
overview of the VNC architecture at
http://www.realvnc.com/howitworks.html.  This is by the folks who wrote
it.  VNC uses a very lightweight protocol.  Plus, it works backwards
from X.  With VNC, the server is located on the remote machine and the
client is on the local machine . . . It also supports ssh . . .

All in all, it's a reasonably good and safe remote access mechanism.  At
least, the ones with which I am familiar . . .

Cheers
--
George Capehart

capegeo at opengroup dot org

PGP Key ID: 0x63F0F642 available on most public key servers

"It is always possible to agglutenate multiple separate problems into a
 single complex interdependent solution.  In most cases this is a bad
 idea."  -- RFC 1925