[Dshield] distributing windows updates (was: Proxy

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Thu Oct 23 23:27:35 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 15:19, George Capehart wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 October 2003 06:03 pm, John Hardin wrote:
> > >
> > > What about VNC?
> > > <http://www.realvnc.com/download.html>
> >
> > I wouldn't recommend that, as it fires off an X session (desktop) on
> > the Linux box and leaves it sitting idle until somebody connects
> > using VNC.
>
> This is an implementation of VNC with which I am not accustomed.  None
> of the current implementations of VNC use X.  There is a very good
> overview of the VNC architecture at
> http://www.realvnc.com/howitworks.html.

We use it a lot for support and remote administration.

VNC server on Linux acts to remote an X desktop. It does this not by
remoting the X protocol, but by running an X server *on that system* to
a virtual display, then remoting the output of that display.

The VNC server fires up a local X server displaying to the virtual
display, and then sits idle until a VNC client connects to it. It also
does this per-user, so if you want to provide five users with VNC-X
sessions, you'll have five VNC+X servers running *all the time*. This
strikes me as a waste of resources, which is why I discouraged it.

If you don't want to deal with setting up a Windows X server on your
system, and are already using VNC for other things, you may weigh the
benefits and disadvantages differently than I do.

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ
  Failure to plan ahead on someone else's part does not constitute an