[Dshield] Re: Re: [Larholm/PivX] Proxy attackers/hijackers

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Fri Oct 24 05:14:52 GMT 2003

Agreed, finally weakened, and gave my $10 to MS for an XP softpack CD.
I'll put it on the old guy's machine when it comes.  Sure wish they (MS)
would offer us a CD with all the XP and IE security patches.  They could do
it by year, or bi annually, i.e., 2002 version, or Spring 03, etc.  Norton
could offer the same time saving service for their products now that NIS 03
is over 10 megabytes in changes/updates.  Matter of fact, back in the pre
CD days Norton used to.  Every few months a set of 3.5s would show up in
the mail from Norton with the latest anti virus definitions.  I still have
some of the old "Fall 97" NAV ones around.  Don't know why they stopped
doing that (we paid for the service, not them) service.  Possessing up to
date security and AV CDs readable on any PC would really make stripping and
subsequent reinstallations go quicker compared to coping with whatever dial
up modem I encounter on service calls.

I hear what some of you are thinking.  Bring a fast modem with you, and an
external CD read/write drive and software to drive it.  Wouldn't work.
First the service I provide is done for free, so who buys it?  Second, this
last one I did was unusual in that it was a fairly new (less than 2 years
old) machine.  Many of the ones I encounter in senior citizen's homes are
much older.  486s are not uncommon.  Often the machines lack the storage
space for the programs to drive the CD and the modem.  Encountered a
Windows 3.1 386 last week with a 20 meg hard drive and 5.25 floppy drive
under the 3.5.  It is hard to get those older machines clean, much less
virus proof them.  Once MS, Norton, McAfee, etc. decide the machine is past
the shelf life, that's it.  Product support generally stops.  Meanwhile the
older machine is still in use and becoming more of a security threat with
each day that passes as the last AV program made to fit/run on it falls
further and further into obsolescence.  The only silver lining is many of
the newer viruses expect newer .dll files and faster disk I/Os than the old
ones usually have.  Makes the infections really noticeable when the
keyboards can't respond because the CPU or drive is too busy complying with
the infection's instructions.

I would love to figure out a way to close ports on the old pre firewall
machines without slowing them down to a crawl.  On the one hand some of the
older systems didn't have RPC when they left the factory, but out here, in
the wild, it isn't unusual to encounter a Win 95 machine with 98, XP and NT
versions of dll files left by different program installations over the past
few years.  Lexmark, as a for instance, installed RPC calls with their Z51
printer software, all that was required was a CD reader attached to the old
machine.