[Dshield] More on Windows Messenger from Yesterday's DartmouthDaily Feed

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Sat Oct 25 15:24:03 GMT 2003

This is one of many reasons I opened then dropped AOL way back in 95 or so.
  Beware a program that is allowed to modify the system from a remote
location upon a command from someone you have never met.  On the one hand
it sounds so neat and easy.  Your browser will always be up to date and
fully compliant with the latest protocols.  No need to manually hunt for
patches and upgrades.  Self updating/modifiying.  I don't even like
allowing the firewall to do things like that.  At least with Netscape 7.1
auto update is a Y/N choice a user can make.  Closing the Messenger is
good, but they should ask first.  I wonder how this will work on the LANs
or WANS where one person who has admin access (like a know nothing
supervisor who signs paychecks for instance, or that girl who is dating the
owner, etc.) and an AOL account on their machine.  Will the autoupdate from
AOL kill the Messenger for everyone else?