[Dshield] Administrativa: Off-Topic Posts

John Holmblad jholmblad at aol.com
Sat Oct 25 17:26:18 GMT 2003

Bill.

thanks for the insights about the history of the AOL client. I was
totally unaware of the lawsuit to which you refer. Your comments also
give me some better insight into an anamoly that started occurring with
my firewall  and caused by AOL 7.0, 8.0, and 9.0 recently that has lead
me in the direction of the AOL infosec team to try to figure out what is
going on. The problem has to do with the periodic transmission of ICMP
echo request packets from AOL that for some reason jump out of the
tunneled connection to my PC (via the miniport adapter)  when they are
turned around by the AOL software and then reach my firewall on the
outbound direction (to the Internet that is) as ICMP echo responses that
are flagged as smurf attacks. I suspect it is a flaw in an update to the
AOL software that is causing this but it does happen in three different
rev levels (7.0,8.0, and 9.0). I expect a follow-up call from them
sometime in the next week.
--

Best Regards,

John Holmblad