[Dshield] Re: [Dsheild] Clubx.biz spam

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Wed Oct 29 16:25:19 GMT 2003

Come on, folks. Think.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 05:16:23PM -0500, Kenneth Coney wrote:
> An interesting nuisance popped up today.  Call themselves clubx.biz They
> send out a spam email announcing a recipient can sign up an get hits to
> their website.  Those who don't want to receive the mailings can
> unsubscribe by writing to Access at clubx.biz (don't write to them) and
> unsubscribe.  A password needed to unsubscribe is also supplied.  Many do.

"Many do"?

In what distant corner of the galaxy are there people who have not
learned that "unsubscribing" from spam is:

1) utterly ineffectual

2) a sure invitation to more spam, or worse, which is what has
happened here.

>  The fun is the "unsubscribe me" letter is then redirected and bounced by
> Access-bounces at clubx.biz and forwarded to random email addresses.  This
> generates a flood of back and forth email.  unsubscribe me, why you writing
> to me, aren't you the clubx.biz?, no I ain't., etc.  An additional game
> being played byy clubx.biz is the sending to random email addresses the
> following:

Serves 'em right...

/* snip */

> Another victim tells
> me he has learned ev1.net rented the server to a company that rented the

No. Not a "victim".

An idiot, perhaps, or perhaps a victim of his/her own stupidity, but
most certainly not a "victim" as that overworked term is so commonly
thrown about these days.

- John
--
"Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?"
-