[Dshield] FW: Microsoft Security Update

Kenneth Coney superc at visuallink.com
Thu Sep 4 02:46:28 GMT 2003

The biggest problem I see with the new Office 2000 patches is MS has
designed some of them so they won't work unless you have already installed
the service packs, and service pack 1 won't install without the original
software CD.  I mean really, who keeps those?  What home user in a house
full of kids knows where an install disk/CD is 3 years later?  The result
or requiring the original disk be on hand years later before a softpack
update or VBA patch can be installed is a lot of home PCs (and maybe some
office PCs) will never be patched.  How many Joe Sixpacks can even find the
box with the little yellow sticker with the authentication code?  Many
never installed the software themselves anyway and had Staples or Office
Max install it for them.  Now you are telling them they were supposed to
keep the disks and the box?  Pfui.  MS rides again.