[Dshield] paper about port blocking

Johannes Ullrich jullrich at euclidian.com
Thu Sep 4 03:13:19 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 19:25, Darren Gasser wrote:
> Jonathan Rickman wrote:
> > You're exaggerating. Some ISPs already have devices with this
> > capability out there. It's just not turned on.
>
> Really?  Which ones?

"Business Connections"
Speedstream /Efficient 5851 SDSL modem/router
Cisco 678 DSL modem/router
Cisco 1605

"Consumer"
Netgear DG814 (modem+router+firewall in one, $140)
Zoom ADSL X4 (modem+router+firewall in one, $90)

Many ISPs do provide free software firewalls. But in particular if you
are looking at people that don't know how to run Windows update, they
probably don't know about software firewalls or how to install them.

recent Motorola cable modems provide a 'standby' button to disconnect
the PC from the network while not in use ;-)

standalone firewall appliances go for < $50 retail these days. So in
bulk, and integrated into an other device like a cable modem, I think
you should be able to get them for <$10.

Johannes Ullrich                     jullrich at euclidian.com
         support at covad.net