[Dshield] FW: Microsoft Security Update

warpmedia warpmedia at comcast.net
Thu Sep 4 13:01:02 GMT 2003

Hehe, and in the mean time the people they are really are trying to foil
have a warez copy. Same "insert cd" caveat is true if you want to remove
Office.

This why new systems that come pre-installed should "waste" some of that
vast HDD space to hold an image of the CD "just in case". Of course we see
the warped side of that when that's ALL the vendor ships with the system.

At 22:46 9/3/2003, Kenneth Coney wrote:
>The biggest problem I see with the new Office 2000 patches is MS has
>designed some of them so they won't work unless you have already installed
>the service packs, and service pack 1 won't install without the original
>software CD.  I mean really, who keeps those?  What home user in a house
>full of kids knows where an install disk/CD is 3 years later?  The result
>or requiring the original disk be on hand years later before a softpack
>update or VBA patch can be installed is a lot of home PCs (and maybe some
>office PCs) will never be patched.  How many Joe Sixpacks can even find
>the box with the little yellow sticker with the authentication code?  Many
>never installed the software themselves anyway and had Staples or Office
>Max install it for them.  Now you are telling them they were supposed to
>keep the disks and the box?  Pfui.  MS rides again.

Joshua MacCraw
warpmedia at comcast.net
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jmaccraw