[Dshield] paper about port blocking

elijah wright elw at stderr.org
Thu Sep 4 14:02:02 GMT 2003

> From: warpmedia <warpmedia at comcast.net>

> I won't pay a dime. Shut THEM down until they PAY someone to come fix
> their problems & act as liaison to the provider to certify the problem
> is gone. I have no bandwidth issues here, nor have I ever really had a
> problem with outside sources as I did pay my $80 and install a HW
> firewall (which out of the box, blocked everything needed).

> Meanwhile I loose my ability to use certain ports (arbitrarily, I still
> see scans from various virus on ports > 1024) as well as the ability to
> know what is up around me.

dude, this is totally unreasonable (as most of your comments in the last
couple days have been).  the world doesn't work the way you think it does.

you're on a crap-ass mainstream commercial provider (my apologies to
anyone from comcast who's on the list), and you're just going to have to
deal with the restrictions that they choose to impose.  if you really want
decent connectivity, PAY FOR IT.  otherwise, stuff it.