[Dshield] FW: Microsoft Security Update

Michael Leone loki at psu.edu
Thu Sep 4 19:31:22 GMT 2003

What I don't understand is why when you purchase something, you no longer
really own it? You don't really own the music, you don't really own the
Operating System, You don't really own that brand new car.  Everything is
about rights, rights management software, music codecs that protect
copyrights, design rights, intellectual property. What about MY rights? I
pay out my butt for Microsoft Office XP, which has more bugs that a pile of
cow shit, and I only have a "limited" use. I get a new HDD, and I get a new
scanner and it wants me to "Re-Activate" it. Why? I don't want Microsoft
knowing I changed something on my computer. ITS NONE OF THEIR DAMNED
BUSINESS. When I make a purchase, reload my computer, add a printer, change
my CPU. Whatever, I should not have to tell Microsoft.  Luckily, my company
to the rescue. I told the Computer Support Center, I bought a new computer
and I need software, It will enable me to do work at home. Viola! 2 days
later were brand new copies with licences still fresh in the plastic of
Microsoft Office XP Corporate, Office Service Pack 2 disks, Windows XP
Corporate, and Microsoft Visio right on my desk. Never have to activate.
Can install on any computer I own, just as long its only installed on 1
computer. If I remove it from one computer I can use the same license and
the same disks to install it on a new one. Do companies have more rights
than a general user? Or does Microsoft know if they pissed off the
companies they would go down the tubes? But its okay to screw the little
guy right?

It used to be that, "you can use this for free, unless if you make money
from it, than you have to give me a piece of the action". I liked that
approach, it was fair. I also like messing with source code to fix all the
stupid errors in most mainstream programs. And this Ad ware bullcrap sets
me off the deep end. But that's a separate rant that I would have to get
really good and drunk to start spattering off.