[Dshield] Blaster / Power Outages Follow up

Bernie, CTA cta at hcsin.net
Fri Sep 5 00:15:16 GMT 2003

How true. Now we need to expose the vulnerabilities in the
wireless telemetry and data acquisition topology utilized in the
monitoring subsystems employed in control systems of the Power,
Water, Gas generation/processing and distribution
infrastructures. While some of the radios utilize proprietary
protocols, most are based on 802.11b/g and operate in the
microwave spectrum. Nonetheless, these wireless systems /
transceivers are vulnerable to DOS/availability and integrity
attacks, which could be accomplished using a home-made portable
high power pulse mode Microwave jamming device constructed from
components of a standard microwave oven.

Microwave ovens are tuned to operate at 2450 Mhz, and can be
heterodyned to produce pulses of between 900 to 1200 Mhz,
covering the old 80211b spectrum and other wireless devices.
However, with just a bit of hacking your trusty popcorn maker
has enough killing power (500w to 1000w typically) to take out
most 802.11g receivers.  Such threat can destroy receiver input
amplifiers, degrade the integrity of data or at minimum impede
its flow.

I wrote a theoretical paper about 12 or so years ago, on such a
security threat concerning jamming of Tactical Air Navigation
"TACAN" systems used for aircraft navigation in the US using a
modified radar magnetron (available from Army Navy surplus) and
waveguide to pierce the 962 - 1213 Mhz operating frequency
range. Consequently, safeguards have yet to be erected.

Ok, there is a down side to building one of these jammers. That
is, if your antenna (waveguide) is improperly designed or tuned,
and/or your electron ejection methodology fails to blast the
little critters from the magnetron's cathode, well then your
body parts might fry.

Still, I am sure a we will see these jammers developed and
deployed. For those of us in security engineering, our problem
becomes how can we prevent, divert or abate an attack, or
otherwise mitigate the effects of the potential threat to the
integrity or availability of wireless data communications do to
the inherent vulnerability of WiFi.

On 4 Sep 2003 at 12:28, Andre Ludwig wrote:
> Guess we were right all along.
>
> Andre Ludwig, CISSP

-

-
Bernie
Chief Technology Architect
Chief Security Officer
cta at hcsin.net
Euclidean Systems, Inc.
// "There is no expedient to which a man will not go
//    to avoid the pure labor of honest thinking."
//     Honest thought, the real business capital.
//      Observe> Think> Plan> Think> Do> Think>