[Dshield] DNS MX record block question

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Sun Sep 7 00:16:03 GMT 2003

Keith Bergen wrote:

> I don't understand the objection here.
>
> All Roy is suggesting is that if he receives an email from xyz.com, that
> domain has to have an MX record.
<SNIP!>

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. The domain does NOT have to have an MX record. Please see my posting on Friday afternoon for an explanation of why. But in summary, the RFCs do NOT require a domain have an MX record to receive mail.

> Frankly, I think that every TLD should have an MX record available or you
> shouldn't accept connections from it. How else would you send an email back
> to them ...
<SNIP!>

Again, you do NOT need an MX record to send mail to a domain. Please see my earlier post as to how this works.

Jon R. Kibler
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA