[Dshield] DNS MX record block question

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Sun Sep 7 19:36:37 GMT 2003

CCN Micheal Patterson wrote:

> All of this discussion is just taking up space and a lot of people are
> apparently missing the entire point and everyone that IS missing the point
> is dragging the RFC's into the equation to back up their opinion. Drop it.
<BIG SNIP!>

Michael,

No one is disagreeing with you that you have the right to refuse to accept email from anyone and for any reason.

There are really two different issues that this discussion has diverged into:
   1) What can I block and still be reasonably assured that I will not be blocking legitimate email sources?
   2) Am I free to block email from anyone and for any reasons if I don't care about blocking legitimate email that I really may want to and/or need to receive?

Again, anyone is free to do anything that they want with their mail servers -- reject any incoming connection or email for any arbitrary reason -- provided they do not care whether they will lose legitimate email. No one has disagreed with you on that point.

Since Mr. Roy has not reentered this discussion to respond to these posts, I believe that it is up to the reader to interpret whether he cares about losing legitimate email. It is these different interpretations of his original postings that has led to these two divergent views of "What is correct?".

The bottom line is that both sides of the discussion are right, in their given context. However, depending upon whether Mr. Roy cares about or doesn't care about losing legitimate email, then only one of the two opinions are correct.

Jon R. Kibler
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA