[Dshield] DNS MX record block question

Micheal Patterson micheal at cancercare.net
Mon Sep 8 00:55:30 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon R. Kibler" <Jon.Kibler at aset.com>
To: "General DShield Discussion List" <list at dshield.org>
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2003 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Dshield] DNS MX record block question

> CCN Micheal Patterson wrote:
> >
> > All of this discussion is just taking up space and a lot of people are
> > apparently missing the entire point and everyone that IS missing the
point
> > is dragging the RFC's into the equation to back up their opinion. Drop
it.
> <BIG SNIP!>
>
> Michael,
>
> No one is disagreeing with you that you have the right to refuse to accept
email from anyone and for any reason.

> There are really two different issues that this discussion has diverged
into:
>    1) What can I block and still be reasonably assured that I will not be
blocking legitimate email sources?
>    2) Am I free to block email from anyone and for any reasons if I don't
care about blocking legitimate email that I really may want to and/or need
to receive?

> Again, anyone is free to do anything that they want with their mail
servers -- reject any incoming connection or email for any arbitrary
reason -- provided they do not care whether they will lose legitimate email.
No one has disagreed with you on that point.

> Since Mr. Roy has not reentered this discussion to respond to these posts,
I believe that it is up to the reader to interpret whether he cares about
losing legitimate email. It is these different interpretations of his
original postings that has led to these two divergent views of "What is
correct?".

> The bottom line is that both sides of the discussion are right, in their
given context. However, depending upon whether Mr. Roy cares about or
doesn't care about losing legitimate email, then only one of the two
opinions are correct.

> Jon R. Kibler
> A.S.E.T., Inc.
> Charleston, SC  USA

> Filtered by: TRUSTEM.COM's Email Filtering Service
> http://www.trustem.com/
> No Spam. No Viruses. Just Good Clean Email.

True enough.

--

Micheal Patterson
Network Administration