[Dshield] For NetGear Owners

Tom Laermans tom.laermans at powersource.cx
Tue Sep 9 10:35:58 GMT 2003

At 02:12 09-09-2003, you wrote:
> >Hi list,
> >
> >I thought this was a pretty interesting story, and a hint for netgear users
> >to make sure they have a nicely working firmware...
> >http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/netgear-sntp/
>
>I have a RP-114 router....   Am I affected?   I looked at the URL and it
>mentioned a different model number.   Didn't see anything specific to mine
>though.

Yeah, not all models have the flaw apparently.. I don't see anything about
the RP-114 there.
It was pretty stupid of Netgear to pull that kind of trick though.. they
should have used a subdomain in their own domain from the beginning.. at
least they can change that easily.

Time for a NetGear Update site? :o)

I thought it would be good to transparent-proxy-alike forward the traffic
from isp-range:23457 to their-ip:123 to a local NTP server, or just block
the traffic but apparently they don't want anyone to do that.. strange dudes ;)

Tom