[Dshield] Network Sniffer

Niel van Niekerk niel at vanniekerk.net
Tue Sep 9 18:28:25 GMT 2003

Hi Kane,

Firstly, are you on a switched network port?

If yes then that is exactly  what you will see by default. There are
ways to sniff more traffic on a swtched network, but it involves extra
steps e.g. Switch configuration to mirror traffic to your port
(available on higher end switches), or google for "ARP cache poisoning",
"man in the middle" otherwise there are a few other ways of confusing
switches as well. **NOTE: Only use these methods on your own network or
one where you have permission to do so!**

If no then look at the capturing options in ethereal, they can be a bit
confusing at first, but once you figure them out they are quite cool.
(unfortunately I don't have ethereal in front of me right now so I can't
give you specific instructions.)

Cheers
Niël