[Dshield] BIND 9.2.2 croaking...

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Wed Sep 10 01:29:18 GMT 2003

Greetings:

Is anyone else having BIND 9.2.2 randomly croaking for no apparent reason? Where it looks just like you did an 'rndc stop', but didn't?

We have no signs the system has been compromised, except that BIND has started randomly shutting itself down. We have run extensive hardware diagnostics and see no problems there.

This is a Solaris 9 box, running with latest patches. BIND runs as a non-root user in its own CHROOT-ed directory.

Anyone know of a network exploit that could crash BIND in the manner described?

Any other thoughts?

As usual, thanks!

Jon R. Kibler
A.S.E.T., Inc.