[Dshield] Way off Topic

Wayne Jr wayne_jr at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 10 05:17:22 GMT 2003

There was a MAJOR hack back in February, maybe it has taken that long
for the credit card companies to get around to notifying people (they
don't like to tell people about these things).  I include the text of
an email about that hack below...  Also, let me mention that I use
VISAs ShopSafe, which is nice, it let's me generate  (on the net) a
unique credit card number for each transaction, and I can set a
maximum amount of money and a cutoff date.  This is great for
ordering things on the net...  I had a credit card get loose on the
net once, fortunately I caught it fast because I keep a close watch
on my credit card activity,at  that time some charges for about $15
or so appeared for some for some strange named business that turned
out to be porn shop in Australia (I live the the USA and don't buy
porn anyway)...  I suppose somebody was just testing out the card
before trying to buy something big...  I had to cancel that card and
get a new number.  VISA was fairly nice about it after I convinced
them that I had not made the purchase...  My impression at the time
was that VISA was not very concerned about my card number being used
without my consent...  I don't think they do enough to make the card
numbers secure...  They could set up credit card honey pot types of
things and catch the people who are doing this if they really wanted
to IMHO.
Regards,
Wayne Jr