[Dshield] Re: Way off Topic

Johannes Ullrich jullrich at euclidian.com
Wed Sep 10 11:03:26 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 18:54, *Hobbit* wrote:
> Maybe at the least you can get whatever bank it was to see the good
> reasons behind maybe CHANGING the static password to your money, i.e.
> your card number, more than every five YEARS, and then adopt a
> personal policy of forcing them to change it every six months.

Some credit card companies (at least Discover and American Express)
experimented with one-time-use credit card numbers. I am not sure
if they still do it, but it worked ok. Essentially you log in to
their web site, or a little application they hand out, and it will
provide you with a number on request that will work only once.

However, this will not work for tickets where you will have to show
the card at a box office as you pick them up, or for subscriptions where
the merchant charges the card each month.

Johannes Ullrich                     jullrich at euclidian.com
         support at covad.net