[Dshield] New Microsoft Windows RPC vulnerability

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Wed Sep 10 20:56:02 GMT 2003

No rants here. M$ does more than enough to shoot itself in the foot. We are down to 5 Windoze systems and I cannot wait to get the budget to ditch them.

However, I will place a bet: My bet is that it will take less than 2 weeks to have an exploit in the wild for this latest hole. (The last one took about a month as I recall.)

I am sure spammers cannot wait to get an exploit deployed for this hole. We are starting to see what I suspect are the ramifications of systems infected with SoBig: Today, we broke an all time record for the number of new (previously unreported) open proxy servers found in a single hour: 144.

And the plot sickens...

Jon R. Kibler
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA

On second thought, I won't rant, but will pass on a joke: