[Dshield] Closing ports

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Wed Sep 10 22:38:13 GMT 2003

Alan:

Exactly what firewall are you using?

The firewalls I am familiar with allow you to control access based upon:
	Incoming Packets
	Outgoing Packets
	Forwarded Packets

And within each of these categories, you can control access based upon protocol. Within each protocol, you have protocol-specific degrees of control. For example, with TCP, you call permit or deny access based upon whether it is an established session. Such capabilities generally eliminates the worry about ports > 1024.

The usual (very general) rules are:
	Allow establishment of new incoming connections only on supported services
	Allow incoming responses to outgoing initiated sessions
	Block everything else incoming
	Block unsafe outgoing ports < 1024 (somewhat O/S dependent)
	Block unsafe outgoing protocols (ARP, RIP, etc.)
	Block forwarding
	Allow everything else outgoing

Naturally, you need to be more specific, and the above is not complete.

Hope this gets you started and answers some of your questions.

Jon R. Kibler
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA