[Dshield] Closing ports

Alan Frayer afrayer at frayernet.com
Thu Sep 11 11:24:31 GMT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 22:57, John Sage wrote:

> Realize that you only need to open port 80 if **you** are hosting a
> web server.
>
> If you are only surfing **other** web sites, you need ports > 1024
> open somehow to accept replies from those web sites, yes.
>
> But again, only if you are running a web server do you open TCP:80
> for http yourself.
>
> This is a common misunderstanding.

No sooner had I hit the Enter key when I remembered that. Of course, I
presently have the port closed, so I'm okay there, but thanks for
looking out for me on that front!

Alan Frayer,CNE,CNI,CIW CI,MCP,Net+ - afrayer at frayernet.com
Seeking an IT Mgmt/Network Admin position in the Tampa Bay Region
If you would like to discuss an opportunity with me, please e-mail.