[Dshield] Another letter claiming to be from M$

Don Peasley dPeasley at epix.net
Fri Sep 12 14:24:59 GMT 2003

I received this one today, definitly spam.  Wondered if anyone needed to
analyze 'Update702.exe'.  Please respond off-list it you would like me
to send the file.

Subject: FW: Watch the pack from Microsoft.
----- Original message follows -----

Microsoft Partner

this is the latest version of security update, the
"September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all
known security vulnerabilities affecting Internet Explorer,
Outlook and Outlook Express as well as five newly discovered
vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your computer from these
vulnerabilities, the most serious of which could allow an attacker to
run executable on your system. This update includes the functionality
of all previously released patches.

System requirements:
Win 9x/Me/2000/NT/XP

This update applies to:
Microsoft Internet Explorer, version 4.01 and later
Microsoft Outlook, version 8.00 and later
Microsoft Outlook Express, version 4.01 and later

Recommendation:
Customers should install the patch at the earliest opportunity.

How to install:
Run attached file. Click Yes on displayed dialog box.

How to use:
You don't need to do anything after installing this item.

Microsoft Technical Support is available at
http://support.microsoft.com/

For security-related information about Microsoft products,
please visit the Microsoft Security Advisor web site at
http://www.microsoft.com/security

Contact us at
http://www.microsoft.com/isapi/goregwiz.asp?target=/contactus/contactus.asp

Please do not reply to this message. It was sent from an unmonitored
e-mail address and we are unable to respond to any replies.

Thank you for using Microsoft products.