[Dshield] Most absurd

Kenton Smith ksmith at chartwelltechnology.com
Fri Sep 12 16:23:19 GMT 2003

I like Bruce Schneier's comment - "“The downside is everybody you know
won’t be able to have a computer anymore, and I like being able to send
e-mail to friends,” Schneier said."

Here are my quick thoughts:

"Minimum competency requirements could include schooling in how to
update anti-virus programs, install firewalls and obtain security fixes
for your computer’s operating system."
Or, they could read the instructions.

"They could include a primer on copyright law"
Or they could use common sense.

"tips on configuring file-swapping programs to avoid the sharing that
prompted nearly 300 federal lawsuits"
See comment on reading instructions above.

"Users could be taught how to read software agreements carefully"
Or companies could be required to put them in plain English and 50 words
or less.

I agree that the end user is a big part of the problem, but this is just
silly. If companies would stop trying to convince the average user that
a computer is an appliance maybe the users would take their "job" more
seriously.

Kenton