[Dshield] Most absurd

Guillaume Lederrey Gehel-Lists at LedCom.ch
Fri Sep 12 16:37:28 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 18:11, John Hardin wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 07:46, Keith Bergen wrote:
> > Why can't we have an operating system that is installed securely with
> > the firewall enabled and immediately protecting the computer?
> >
> Because that would severely impact out-of-the-box usability for
> nontechnical users, <shot type="cheap">which is about the only selling
> point MS has any more...</shot>

  And most important, it would give a false feeling that the computer is
secure. For the average user it might be a better security, but you will
find many IT poeple that will claim that they dont need added security
because the out of the box security is enough for them.

  We all know (I hope) that security has to be tailored to the specific
use.  And that a system is never secured once and for all !

	Guillaume