[Dshield] Re: Most Absurd

John Hardin johnh at aproposretail.com
Fri Sep 12 17:55:56 GMT 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 10:00, Amy Roueche wrote:
> To summarize,  the end user of a computer is responsible for data
> safety the same way the driver of a car is responsible for passenger
> security.

...and the State enforces that responsibility through licensing and
inspection before the driver may legally drive. ('round and 'round we
go...)

It would seem to me that ISPs *could* enforce this sort of thing, fairly
automatically. When you set up a new account you get basic connectivity:
the ability to use a VPN, the ability to send and receive email via the
ISP (but NOT directly) and the ability to surf the web (possibly via
their proxy). You would have to take an online skills test to get fewer
restrictions applied to your account. There would be some level of test
that would remove *all* restrictions - demonstrating, for example, that
you understand firewalling and know how to configure it on your OS of
choice.

If ISPs standardized methods for doing this, there could be a
centralized testing service that would generate a "diploma" code that
you could enter into your ISP profile to remove restrictions without
taking another test. I don't have a problem proving my Admin Skillz to
my ISP to get unfettered access, so long as they recognize that the
world doesn't revolve around M$.

I would *really* like to see the major consumer broadband ISPs
(Roadrunner, ComCast) do something like this.

The costs associated with providing this may, however, be prohibitive
from the ISP's POV.

--
John Hardin  KA7OHZ