[Dshield] Most absurd

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Fri Sep 12 18:29:39 GMT 2003

grrr...

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 08:05:33AM -0600, Michael Johnson wrote:
> Most absurd thing I've seen this week.
> http://www.msnbc.com/news/965202.asp?0cv=CB20

OK, OK, so I was catching up on Politechbot and I may have been
infected by the Libertarian virus, but c'mon folks...

Another law, another rule, another certification, another license?

Mandatory training?

Even recommended training?

Not gonna work.

As one small real-world example of how real people respond to and
conform to existing rules and regulations in the real world, I present
you this:

Here in Washington State, I have to carry additional, mandatory
coverage on my mandatory automobile insurance policy to cover...

...wait for it...

uninsured motorists!

Right. I'm *required* to carry insurance to cover the people who
don't.

There will always be a significant percentage of the population who
will remain obstinate, and/or just plain stupid, and no amount of
legislation or regulation will touch 'em.

"...Dan Updegrove, the school's vice president for information
technology, is considering even more onerous requirements.
'A car has to pass an inspection, and a driver has to pass a test,' he
said. 'We need to be moving in the direction that machines are
certified in some ways and users are certified in some ways...'"

uh.. it might work within a controllable organization like a
university or a business, but it ain't gonna work out in the real
world.

Sorry :-/

- John
--
"Warning: time of day goes back, taking countermeasures."

John Sage
InfoSec Groupie

ABCD, EFGH, IJKL, EmEnOh, Pplus+, Mminus-
http://www.finchhaven.com/
Vashon Island, (the other) WA