[Dshield] Re: Most Absurd

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sat Sep 13 02:01:15 GMT 2003

--On Friday, September 12, 2003 3:28 PM -0700 John Hardin
<johnh at aproposretail.com> wrote:

> I can see where you're coming from and agree with you, but as a
> practical matter what about the possibility of naive users and buggy
> software slowly rendering the Internet unusable, with a signal-to-noise
> ratio of 1:1 or worse?

"The Net interprets censorship as damage, and routes around it."
  -- John Gilmore

I expect that poorly-administered hosts will be treated the same way. We're
already seeing this to some extent with spam blacklists and the occasional
Usenet black holing of a newsgroup spammer.

While ISP's should avoid blocking content, they may need to block certain
kinds of traffic because of its technical behavior and its abuse of the
infrastructure. For example, Speakeasy has a very server-friendly ToS, but it
still reserves the right to protect its network from uses that would overtax
it. I can easily imagine blocking "legacy no-security" ports like 135-139 and
even NFS that weren't designed with the Internet in mind.