[Dshield] [RE: [unisog] New (No kidding) RPC Vulnerability]

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Sat Sep 13 18:54:40 GMT 2003

Given the discussion here about regulations and licenses and all,
here's an intersting post to the UNISOG list, describing one approach
used in a controlled environment:

----- Forwarded message from "Martin, James E." <martin at foo.net> -----

Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 17:02:13 -0500
From: "Martin, James E." <martin at foo.net>
To: "Matt Crawford" <crawdad at boo.gov>, "Dax" <dax at resnet.bar.edu>
Cc: <unisog at sans.org>
Subject: RE: [unisog] New (No kidding) RPC Vulnerability

A downstream campus shut off the dorm ports on the first day back at
school last month, then gave students a choice:

A. They could have a port once they'd been certified as patched to
current stable and virus-free by IT staff, or

B. Users with a non-Microsoft operating system were given a number to
call for immediate port access.

Words cannot express my personal and professional gratitude. :)

Jim