[Dshield] port access

Keith Bergen keith at keithbergen.com
Sun Sep 14 03:15:46 GMT 2003

You might be confusing incoming v. outgoing. For web, you need to connect
outgoing to port 80, but that's on the remote server.

For incoming ports, very few need to be open by default.

If you want (IMO) the best protection without having to worry about the O/S
that you are running, I would recommend using a NAT router. Assuming you
have cable or DSL, the router would do most of the port blocking for you.
Then you don't have to worry so much about the port blocking.

Hope this helps,

Keith.