[Dshield] Most absurd

warpmedia warpmedia at comcast.net
Sun Sep 14 20:18:40 GMT 2003

Well the flip side is the same group of users that computer professionals
have battled with for years, the "I don't want to know how it works" crowd.
This is a time & interest problem. Real people don't have time and/or
interest to become literate to the point where they an think for themselves
vs. using post-it notes. Avg Joe cares not about Oil, water, battery, and
the like on their car. Even fewer would want to work on the engine or
understand how it works. This is what you face x1000 when it comes to the
"complex" home computer and it's "driver".

Certifications & licences makes sense here in the US and may not apply
elsewhere due to enforcement problems and local laws. To be a HAM operator
we have such licenses, but not many avg people are on HAM for this reason.
Meanwhile we have the masses on Cell phones with out them.

Don't get me wrong! Educate all they will take, just don't expect it to
solve more than a small % of the problems. At the same time, the resources
we all use need to be made idiot & exploit proof or at least resistant.
"How" seems to be the argument at hand and I for one do not want everything
shutdown to protect the masses when the problem primarily lies with
software bugs.

At 10:37 9/12/2003, Deb Hale wrote:
>I agree it is absurd.  We shouldn't wait until they are in college, we
>should start teaching these things to middle and high school students.
>(Which by the way I am.)  Everyone complains about the incompetent home
>computer user - not using firewalls, anti-virus, installing patches and
>service packs.  Well, it is because they don't know or understand these
>things and why they are important.
>
>I am teaching a class to 7 thru 12 grade and do seminars for adults.  Most
>of the people that have taken my seminars have been amazed.  They had no
>idea how many things on the Internet they need to be concerned about.  Until
>they are told that these things are important and why, we are going to
>continue to have issues directly related to them.
>
>I for one think that instead of complaining we should help educate.

Joshua MacCraw
warpmedia at comcast.net
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jmaccraw