[Dshield] New Verisign Policy

Blanchard, Joe BLANCHAJ at bsci.com
Wed Sep 17 15:57:05 GMT 2003

<1. How does this affect a mis-type where you get the domain
correct, but the page doesn't exist? For instance
wwww.verisign.com>

If one owns/registered a domain, but doesn't have a DNS for it
The verisign DNS's resolve to there own page thus effectively
"Hijacking" your domain in a sense.

<2. How does this affect Email? I saw some talk a while back
about email and bouncing, but I didn't understand the effects
that this change will have on it.>

If a spammer sends me email and spoofs from say
"jack at unresolvabledomain.com"
my mail server firstly verifies that the domain sender exists, then
verisign's DNSs reply "yeap" (breaking one of my checks for spam).
Not sure about the actual problems regarding bounces, other than
you won't get a response that the domain doesn't exist anymore which
is misleading.

-Joe