[Dshield] New Microsoft Windows RPC vulnerability

Lauro, John jlauro at umflint.edu
Wed Sep 17 21:16:28 GMT 2003

Not much in terms of marketting or development, but...

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/os/warp/

For the full plans in 2003:

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/os/warp/strategy/

Includes the following:
Hardware and Device Driver Enhancements: IBM plans to provide OS/2
device driver enhancements. IBM plans to provide reserved Software
Choice device drivers to customers with then current software
subscriptions. IBM also plans to offer fee-based services to OEMs for
hardware compatibility testing. We anticipate that over time some
hardware device driver support will trend toward USB attachment, while
some hardware and device driver support will continue in legacy mode.
IBM posts hardware and device driver support information to the
http://www7.software.ibm.com/2bcprod.nsf Web site.

OS/2 Defect Support: IBM plans to provide Program defect support for
OS/2 Warp 4 Convenience Packages and for Warp Server for e-business
Convenience Packages through 31 December 2006 for Passport Advantage
customers with Software Maintenance Subscriptions. Customers should
install the latest FixPak or service refresh to stay current for
Program Support. Customers must maintain software subscriptions for
Program Support and to obtain FixPak(s) or service refreshes.

So if you want a stable, supported (for a few more years anyways), but
relatively dead-end besides minimal driver enhancements product....
It amazes me how some of the features in the XP GUI were touted as so
great and new, and they were built into OS/2 back in ~~94...