[Dshield] Re: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Verisign abusing .COM/.NETmonopoly, BIND releases new

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Thu Sep 18 03:10:54 GMT 2003

"Jonathan A. Zdziarski" wrote:

> It certainly wouldn't surprise me if somebody 0wn3d Verisign by now.
> Until a press release comes out I would act as if it's not going
> anywhere.
>
> On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 18:44, D. Ian Miller wrote:
>
> > FYI ... looks like Verisign has pulled the wildcard A record as we have
> > not patched but invalid domain searches no longer go to verisign ...
> > sitefinder-idn.verisign.com is no longer responding to queries ... maybe
> > someone got the message ... wonder how they will explain this one ...

We are still getting responses... albeit EXCEEDINGLY slow on port 80 and it often times-out or refuses connections.  However, port 25 has instant response. Also, bogus domains continue to resolve to verisign.

Try to telnet to port 25 on that IP (usual legal disclaimers apply). If you do not get a response, someone up stream must be filtering for that IP.

Finally, I think the BIND patch is out, but I get 'connection refused' when I try to download it. From the ISC web site ( http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/ ):
> Current Release Candidate
>
> BIND Version 9.2.3rc2 more information here. Released September 17th, 2003

However, there is no documentation available online (at least not at the time this was written) that says what changes are in this release. The online documentation still refers to 9.2.3.rc1.

Jon R. Kibler
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA