[Dshield] stand alone home-user firewall

Rod Carty rod at en-consult.ca
Thu Sep 18 17:05:08 GMT 2003

I recommend the GVC IP104 units. They do all the usual NAT firewall
stuff plus have the ability to send syslog packets. I use one here
with Kiwi syslogger to receive the packets. I think it's only 10 MBPS
WAN though.

Michael Leone wrote:
> Running the risk of plugging your computer into an infected network
> grows increasingly large. That risk is exponentially higher on a college
> network. Cranking up syslogs and ethereal on the on-campus networks at
> Penn State and one finds virii and exploit scans at DDoS proportions.
>
> My girlfriend is in the process of purchasing a new laptop to replace
> her ageing k62-500 (The k62 is going to find its new home as a FreeBSD
> web server). I most likely will install ZoneAlarm Pro on the machine,
> but she is not the most technically proficient being on this planet.
> Does there exist, a stand alone, external, plug-n-pray, home-user
> firewall. It needs a 100mpbs WAN, a 100mbps LAN, MAC cloning, and be so
> that I can configure it, but it will work silently for her. (no pop-ups,
> alerts, etc.). And.... That has syslogs!
>
> Something small she can plug between her computer and the rest of the
> network. oh yes, and cheap is a keyword too. Has to be cheap. ZoneAlarm
> 4 I have a legal license for already, but it would just be something
> extra that won't destroy the functionality of her computer and is plug
> and pray. Not something that I need to spend 4 weeks teaching to stop
> bitching about programs accessing the Internet.
>
> Mike

Rod C--
Enterprise Network Consulting
Whitehorse, Yukon
http://www.en-consult.ca/

 >> Except the Flood, nothing was ever as bad as reported. -- Edgar
Watson Howe <<
The preceding humor inserted by QuipSig
http://www.en-consult.ca/quipsig/
4,000 quip repertory!