[Dshield] Blocked Dshield list

Wayne Larmon wlarmon at dshield.org
Mon Sep 22 16:47:12 GMT 2003

> My IP decided a few days ago to use Postini.com as an email filter.  As a
> result the DShield text streams (the digest) are being trapped by the
> McAfee virus screener.  According to it, the DShield streams are all
> infected.  The reported specific is: X-pstnvirus: Exploit-MIME.gen.b
> Postini advises the emails can not be fixed for forwarding to me.  Emails
> to the support desk are not being answered.  I suspect McAfee
> doesn't know
> how to handle the application known as octet-stream, either that, or the
> list really is infected.  :)   Either way I ain't getting the digest.

There has been a lot of malware headers posted lately and it isn't
surprising that virus scanners are being spooked.  It would be more
comforting if the A/V scanners blocked actual malware, rather than blocking
discussions about malware, though.  Maybe the A/V scanning software is just
getting a head start on upcoming laws that prohibit disseminating virus
information.  (Ducks.)

Check our web archives at http://www.dshield.org/pipermail/list/ to catch up
on anything you've missed.

Wayne Larmon