[Dshield] NMAP/Ethereal primer

Louis Hablas Lou.Hablas at rzim.org
Tue Sep 23 13:16:24 GMT 2003

Hello:

I manage a Windows environment (W2K servers and W2K Pro desktops) with a
couple of Macs thrown in for good measure.  I keep everything patched and
use Trend ScanMail/ServerProtect/OfficeProtect to help protect as well as
ISA Server at the front door.  Yes, I know, ISA provides a bare minimum of
protection and I'm hoping to put a WatchGuard box in place as soon as we get
into the new budget year (beginning in Oct.).

With all of this said, I'm trying to gain a better understanding about the
deeper layers of my network and have installed NMAP and Ethereal (WIndows
versions).  Now I want to better understand how to use these tools most
effectively.  Can anybody point me to some good, laymen's terms documents?
I've looked at HELP in both cases, but I want to hear from the perspective
of the experts out there and particularly would like to hear about the
features I should focus on that will help me best understand...

Thanks

Lou Hablas
Systems Manager
Ravi Zacharias International Ministries
www.rzim.org
770-810-4214

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the
intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the
information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the
message.