[Dshield] Microsoft - Threat to National Security?

Nick Heywood nickh at nicksweb.net
Thu Sep 25 14:13:16 GMT 2003

We do have a debate ;-)

I do indeed understand the "Wintel" concept, and my computing heritage
starts at apple II's and through the entire range of these OS's. I also
witnessed the evolution of DOS the demise of ProDOS and others.

It doesn't change the fact that the world "chose".  The reasons they chose
the way they did is an entirely different argument.

But we digress, we still have an hemogenous operating environment, which is
not good.  Sooner or later there will be an exploit discovered by the wrong
people at the wrong time, and potentially, at the extreme end, the worlds IT
infrastructure will be toast.

What would make it different is education and awareness. Get everyone
setting their OS's up for what they intend to do with them instead of just
"letting it happen" on install and administration.

That would render even all the "Wintels" different in operation, and
therefore not as vulnerable as a whole.

Nick