[Dshield] Microsoft - Threat to National Security?

John Sage jsage at finchhaven.com
Thu Sep 25 21:06:05 GMT 2003

Nick:

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:13:16AM +1000, Nick Heywood wrote:
> We do have a debate ;-)
>
> I do indeed understand the "Wintel" concept, and my computing heritage
> starts at apple II's and through the entire range of these OS's. I also
> witnessed the evolution of DOS the demise of ProDOS and others.

Ah, yes! I've still got my ][+

The shift key mod, Videx 80 column cards at $god-knows-how-much, and
Manx Aztec C... 6502 assembler... *sigh*

Answering the question, "Why did you need 48k of memory?" with:
"Because I want to run VisiCalc" at which point the questioner would
nod wisely and mutter "Yeah.. yeah.. 16k of memory probably won't
do..."

Now *those* were the days...

..or not!

> It doesn't change the fact that the world "chose".  The reasons they chose
> the way they did is an entirely different argument.
>
> But we digress, we still have an hemogenous operating environment, which is
> not good.  Sooner or later there will be an exploit discovered by the wrong
> people at the wrong time, and potentially, at the extreme end, the worlds IT
> infrastructure will be toast.

A distinct possibility... :-/

> What would make it different is education and awareness. Get everyone
> setting their OS's up for what they intend to do with them instead of just
> "letting it happen" on install and administration.
>
> That would render even all the "Wintels" different in operation, and
> therefore not as vulnerable as a whole.

Not a bad idea..

How? only how to do it...

- John
--
"Warning: time of day goes back, taking countermeasures."
John Sage