[Dshield] RBL deaths OT?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Sep 25 22:57:33 GMT 2003

--On Thursday, September 25, 2003 4:13 PM -0400 "Jon R. Kibler"
<Jon.Kibler at aset.com> wrote:

> There is a limit to the number of authoritative name servers a domain can
> have (25?) which would be the weak link in any RBL's survivability.

Yes and no. The number of unique names is limited due to the size of a UDP DNS
packet. (I think it's 12 or 13.) That's why there aren't more root servers or
servers for a given TLD. But behind each of these names you can have a load
balancer to expand the actual number of servers.

Of the registrars I've shopped at, most offer only 2-4 slots to enter a
delegated name server, no more.