[Dshield] RBL deaths OT?

Darren Gasser kaos at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 25 23:56:42 GMT 2003

John Hardin wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 13:48, Bjorn Stromberg wrote:
>
>> Frankly, it's frightening to see these organizations being shut
>> down. What recourse do we have as citizens of the net to bring an
>> end to these massive DDoS attacks? With spoofed IP's being used in
>> the attacks the only people in a position to end these attacks are
>> the ISPs as they are the only ones with the access to the true IPs
>> of the computers being used in the attacks.
>
> ...and the only ones who can to egress filtering for large tracts of
> insecure IP space.
>
> Any way to force someone to do egress filtering?

Good question.  I keep wondering if and when the large broadband ISPs will
become a target for either law enforcement or a large class action lawsuit
over their continued negligence in allowing the spread of various worms and
other illegal system attacks/exploits.

IANAL, but after the nth case of most broadband system operators ignoring
the massive security problems on their networks, it would appear that they
have put themselves well into the "contributory negligence" category.

-Darren