[Dshield] RBL deaths OT?

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Fri Sep 26 00:23:45 GMT 2003

John Hardin wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 13:16, Jon R. Kibler wrote:
> > Ray Seals wrote:
> > >
> > > What about using something like bit torrent to distribute your list?
> >
> > No can do. Why? Simple -- RBLs must be tightly controlled. If not,
> > then spammers could use them to exploit known insecure systems, making
> > spammers' jobs even easier.
>
> How do you reconcile this with the ability to do zone transfers of RBL
> data?

Most will not let you do zone transfers.

No, let me rephrase that: Until recently, only a very select few replicate sites were allowed to do zone transfers. Some of the RBLs have loosened up this policy to provide for more replicates in anticipation of being DDOSed themselves.

But, the basic idea still applies: Allow anyone to query, only replicates to xfer.

Jon R. Kibler
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA