[Dshield] Scanning from 127.0.0.1

Doug White doug at clickdoug.com
Fri Sep 26 02:18:18 GMT 2003

Well rant on

I can see no reason to look to ISPs to do filtering for you, when that action
could block legitimate users of the ports in question.

The ideal solution for local security has not yet been developed, perhaps you
could work in that direction.

As long as any group, whether then be admins or home users continues to point
the finger somewhere besides where it belongs, the problems you complain of will
never be solved.

It is the end user who is ultimately responsible for securing their own
computers., I do agree that ISPs should be more proactive is assisting them or
at least requiring it would be a good idea.

Now that millions of connections, and this figure is growing every day, have
been deployed with all services defaulted to on, the ongoing changes being
incorporated by the software publishers will have little effect, until and
unless the end user incorporates the changes/patches that are developed and
released.

Advancing technology is how you are protecting yourself so far, and there is no
way you can force the rest of the connected internet to incorporate   Nor can
you summarily eliminate all those, who for whatever reason, seek out
vulnerabilities and attempt to exploit them.

Is this an inconvenience for the rest of us? of course it is.  Is protecting
ourselves expensive?  Of course it is.

Featuring Win2003 Enterprise, RedHat Linux, CFMX 6.1 and all databases.
Suggested corporate Anti-virus policy: http://www.dshield.org/antivirus.pdf