[Dshield] RBL deaths OT?

warpmedia warpmedia at comcast.net
Fri Sep 26 09:56:08 GMT 2003

Hey! Hands off my privacy! For sure once they come in for that, it will
grow to include more. This is the nature of government..

I have enough problems worrying about carnivore and the like, akin to a
line tap on all the world ala "Enemy of the state"  but much easier to
implement because it's all digital. Next people who encrypt become instant
subjects of interest, on and on. With only judge du jour, or worse a
patriot act, deciding who to track based on a "perceived" danger that may
or may not exist.

No, what we need are STANDARDS imposed on what to filter & when,
dynamically without compromising personal freedom & privacy. Then make
providers liable for following them. Make software vendors liable for holes
& force them to fix them, properly and for free. After not too long, it
will be the norm to write code that is not exploitable or least to be
proactive in finding & fixing them before they cause impact.

Of course none of the law makers are young, wise, or care enough to
understand and do the right thing. Even some of those among us here proven
that while they understand the problem, they are more in favour of
crippling the system rather than fixing it.

At 19:56 9/25/2003, Darren Gasser wrote:
>John Hardin wrote:
> > On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 13:48, Bjorn Stromberg wrote:
> >
> >> Frankly, it's frightening to see these organizations being shut
> >> down. What recourse do we have as citizens of the net to bring an
> >> end to these massive DDoS attacks? With spoofed IP's being used in
> >> the attacks the only people in a position to end these attacks are
> >> the ISPs as they are the only ones with the access to the true IPs
> >> of the computers being used in the attacks.
> >
> > ...and the only ones who can to egress filtering for large tracts of
> > insecure IP space.
> >
> > Any way to force someone to do egress filtering?
>
>Good question.  I keep wondering if and when the large broadband ISPs will
>become a target for either law enforcement or a large class action lawsuit
>over their continued negligence in allowing the spread of various worms and
>other illegal system attacks/exploits.
>
>IANAL, but after the nth case of most broadband system operators ignoring
>the massive security problems on their networks, it would appear that they
>have put themselves well into the "contributory negligence" category.

Joshua MacCraw
warpmedia at comcast.net
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jmaccraw